I feel quite lucky to be working where I work. One of the things I like about working at a university is having access to a number of learning opportunities, be it credit or not-for-credit courses, or even 1 or 2 hour sessions on anything. I love learning so it’s a field day for me when I get to attend these courses or events.
Conversations with Impact
One session I recently attended was “Conversations With Impact”. Ms. Joanna Piros,a senior consultant with Counterpoint Communications and also faculty at UBC Sauder School of Business’s Executive Education program, was the one who delivered the one hour session.
At the beginning of the session, Ms. Piros emphasized three (3) key statements about conversations:
1. All communication is strategic
2. You must frame others before you frame yourself (I didn’t know what media framing meant before I attended this session)
3. You must tell stories
This definitely struck a chord with me because one of the courses I teach, Visual Analytics with Tableau, also revolves around telling stories with data.
A couple of upcoming SQL Server events:
24HOP GOC 2015 (or 24 hours of PASS Growing Our Community 2015) is happening June 24-25, 2015. This event is a 24 hour event, with a session happening every hour delivered by SQL Server and Business Intelligence (BI) experts from around the world. The list of sessions are posted 24HOP 2015.
Application & Database Development
- Common Table Expressions – Advanced
- Database Design: Solving Problems Before they Start!
- Every Byte Counts: Why Your Data Type Choices Matter
- Introduction to Microsoft Azure DocumentDB
- Offline Database Development and Unit Testing with SSDT
- Protecting Your Data with Encryption
BI Information Delivery
- Introduction to the Power BI Designer
- Understanding and Visualizing Data Using R in SQL Server
BI Platform Architecture, Development & Administration
- Don’t Repeat Yourself – An Introduction to Agile SSIS Development
- Improving Data Analytics with Azure Machine Learning
- Optimizing your data warehouse for OLAP Processing
- Rethink your ETL with BIML
- SSAS Design and Performance Best Practices
- Cloud Application Development & Deployment
- Azure IOT: A Practical Introduction to Stream Analytics
Enterprise Database Administration & Deployment
- Common SQL Server Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
- Curious Cases of Availability Groups
- Data Pages, Allocation Units, IAM chains… Oh My!
- Overlord – tracking changes, real-time, in your environment
- SQL Server Agent: The life preserver for the drowning DBA
- The Art and the Science of Designing a Mission Critical SQL Server Solution
- The Data Loading Performance Presentation
- Trend Analysis of SQL Error Logs: Seeing Beyond the Error
- Turbo-Charged Transaction Logs
- Making the Leap from Developer to DBA
SQLSaturday #407 in Vancouver, BC
SQLSaturday #407 in Vancouver, BC is happening on June 27, 2015 at UBC Robson Square, 800 Robson Street, Vancouver. SQLSaturdays are one day free training events for SQL Server professionals. SQL Server professionals have developed a pretty tight knit community over the years, and this is one way of sharing information, learnings, experiences and best practices on the product. This event is also volunteer-driven – the organizers and presenters volunteer their time and effort to help foster the #SQLCommunity.
Sessions delivered range from SQL Server Administration, Development, Business Intelligence Application, Business Intelligence Delivery, and Professional Development.
Check out the schedules and sessions here: http://www.sqlsaturday.com/407/Sessions/Schedule.aspx