If you are starting to learn SQL Server administration, or just need to rehash on your backup and restore fundamentals, here’s a great ebook to read:
Tag Archives: Ebook
If you have the slightest interest in PowerShell, and you’re keen on learning more about it, I strongly recommend you download this book:
It is an awesome, well written 567 page book that covers PowerShell through and through. Here are the chapters:
- The PowerShell Console
- Interactive PowerShell
- Arrays and Hashtables
- The PowerShell Pipeline
- Using Objects
- Finding and Avoiding Errors
- Command Discovery and Scriptblocks
- Text and Regular Expressions
- The File System
- The Registry
- Processes, Services, Event Logs
- Windows Management Instrumentation
- User Management
- Your Own Cmdlets and Extensions
… written by one of our cool DevTeach speakers Peter de Betta?
Yup, it’s a free MS Press Ebook on SQL Server 2008. What else can we SQL Server junkies ask for? (Ok, fine I said that too soon, there’s probably still a fair bit of stuff we want out of SQL Server).
Anyway, this is the link to Peter‘s blog about the book :
This is the excerpt:
To get your free copy, browse to http://www.microsoft.com/learning/sql/2008/default.mspx. From there, look in the Special Offers section for the “Free e-book offer“. Although the site states you can get excerpts, the whole book is available for reading.
Jacob Sebastian is a SQL Server XML Guru!
Check out his collection for XQUery Labs. This is the first 12 of his series, and right now he has 43 and counting:
XQuery Sample Scripts
* XQuery Lab 1 – Transforming rows to columns
* XQuery Lab 2 – An example using OUTER APPLY
* XQuery Lab 3 – Filtering specific nodes
* XQuery Lab 4 – Joining XML Nodes with a Relational Table
* XQuery Lab 5 – Working with Namespaces
* XQuery Lab 6 – Processing Header-Detail information
* XQuery Lab 7 – Extracting a comma separated list of values
* XQuery Lab 8 – How to update the attribute value of an XML variable?
* XQuery Lab 9 – How to delete an attribute from an XML variable?
* XQuery Lab 10 – How to insert an attribute to an XML variable
* XQuery Lab 11 – How to insert an element to an XML variable
* XQuery Lab 12 – Different ways of reading values from an XML variable
Jacob Sebastian has also released a free ebook via RedGate – The Art of XSD – SQL Server XML Schema Collections
Check it out, all 483 pages! 🙂
Free ebooks 🙂 Grab them while they’re free. (BTW, I purchased Grant Fritchey’s ebook, now RedGate is offering it for free)
SQL Server 2008 MS Press Free Ebook
How to Become an Exceptional DBA
Best of SQL Server Central
Brad’s Sure Guide to SQL Server 2008
Brad’s Sure DBA Checklist
RedGate’s SQL Server DBA Best Practices
Dissecting SQL Server Execution Plans