Thank you to all the troopers who attended my really-early-morning-cold-and-snowy session at SQLSaturday#65 in Vancouver, BC. It was such a great event; thanks to all volunteers, sponsors, speakers and organizers (kudos to Scott Stauffer (blog | twitter) .. Thanks to Todd McDermid (blog | twitter) too for helping me give out swags during my session, and thanks for the great powerpoint slide decks which I’ve used in 2 SQLSaturdays now! 🙂
As promised, here are the SQLSaturday#65 presentation materials for SQL Server 2008/2008 R2 Reporting Services from the Ground Up
Brent Ozar (blog | twitter) has a few pictures of the event 🙂
Sample Reports (pdfs)
Report with different visualization components (data bar, sparkline, indicator, gauge, chart)
Report with drilldown, barcode, gauge
Report using map (from ESRI shapefile for Canada) and Bing Maps layer
I did a presentation today for VANPASS on PowerShell and SQL Server – thank you to those who attended! It was a great lively crowd 🙂 Thanks to Idera too – for the freebies – and to Black Ninja Software for the pizza and pop!
Here are the files as promised: VANPASS – SQL Server and PowerShell – Donabel Santos
– done my presentation on PowerShell! thanks for my awesome crowd 🙂 – they stayed with me from PowerShell ground zero to about 20 feet up. You’ve seen the tool now, go make me proud 🙂
– also attended Shereen’s session. She’s the master of customizing your SharePoint pages!
– DevTeach speakers dinner at Sala Thai. Fun and lively chat with Scott Stauffer, Peter de Betta, and Ted Neward. Also brief chat with Kevin Kline and his wife while we were at the lounge waiting to go to dinner. Very nice people!
– we have the Black Ninja Booth. Come visit us! We always welcome good chats, hi’s and hellos! We also have a few things to give away (shirts, goodies, and Telerik Web Control license!)
– looking forward to tomorrow’s sessions!
– wow this could be very addicting eh? I find myself using my iphone/tweetie more.
– got nominated for BCIT’s Teaching Excellence Award!! 🙂 🙂 🙂 Did I put enough smileys here? Thank you to whoever nominated me, it is a pleasure and privilege and very much appreciated.
That’s it, I’m ready to crash for the night!
Updates : day after
– also fun chats with Don Kiely, Etienne Tremblay, Medhat Elmasry, Brian Pidcock at our Black Ninja booth, and quick chat with Richard Baumet while we were both prepping for our presentations 🙂
– when able to sneak out of the booth, attended Sherman Woo’s session on SharePoint Dev tips and tricks, Peter de Betta’s Choosing the Right Encryption Technologies , Kevin Kline’s End to End SQL Server Troubleshooting, Brad McGehee’s SQLDiag presentation; I wish I could have see more presentations!
Sorry I have been sick and out of commission for a week. The past few days, I’ve been drinking the meds the doctor gave me, which just really knocks me right out.
I apologize for the delay, but here are the materials, finally.
SharePoint 101 – Slides
SharePoint Web Parts
SharePoint Web Parts 101 – Slides
SharePoint Web Part Sample Projects:
1. Hello World Web Part
2. Simple Web Part with Custom Properties and Verbs
3. Connectable Web Parts
Enjoy! I’ll start blogging more again, as soon as I’m 100% better 🙂
I’m doing a couple of sessions at the Victoria Code Camp on January 26, 2008! Thank you to Nolan Zak for giving me this opportunity.
These are my two sessions:
This session will provide a high level overview of Windows Sharepoint Services 3.0 and Microsoft Office Sharepoint Server (MOSS 2007). This session will also cover demos of out-of-the-box Sharepoint components like: sites, lists, document libraries, and web parts.
SharePoint Web Parts
This session will cover Web Part concepts, and will walk you through creating custom ASP.NET Web Parts for SharePoint (MOSS 2007, WSS 3.0). Features will also be introduced towards the end of the session.
Schedule is posted at http://www.victoriacodecamp.com/SessionSchedule.aspx.
The list of speakers can be found at http://www.victoriacodecamp.com/CampSpeakers.aspx
Just posting the schedule here as well for your reference:
As usual, I will be posting the materials I will use at the presentations. Hope to see you there! Beautiful Victoria, here I come!
Yaroslav and I did a presentation at VANTUG on November 22, 2007 (Thanks to Graham Jones, President of VANTUG, for inviting us to speak!). As promised, here are the presentation materials. These are the same materials we are going to use for DEVTEACH on November 28, 2007.
As we mentioned in the presentation, we used a real business case as a basis for the demo. The solution in our project involved:
– Sharepoint as portal/framework (specifically MOSS)
– WCF for communication between Sharepoint and backend databases
– Custom Web Part for entry forms and client-side validation
– BDC for search and data display
– SSNS for notification and audit trails
Here is the invite posted at the VANTUG site!
I will be posting all the materials soon 🙂
If you are looking for the DEVTEACH/VANTUG files, you can find them in this blog entry: DEVTEACH/VANTUG 2007 – Sharepoint Integration Presentation Materials